Saturday, August 14, 2010

Hymn 570: Not I, But Christ

NOT I, BUT CHRIST



Not I, but Christ, be honoured, loved, exalted;

Not I, but Christ, be seen, be known, be heard;

Not I, but Christ, in every look and action;

Not I, but Christ, in every thought and word.


Not I, but Christ, to gently soothe in sorrow,

Not I, but Christ, to wipe the falling tear;

Not I, but Christ, to lift the weary burden,

Not I, but Christ, to hush away all fear.


Christ, only Christ! no idle words e'er falling,

Christ, only Christ; no needless bustling sound;

Christ, only Christ; no self important bearing;

Christ, only Christ; no trace of "I" be found.


Not I, but Christ, my every need supplying,

Not I, but Christ, my strength and health to be;

Christ, only Christ, for body, soul and spirit,

Christ, only Christ, here and eternally.

No comments:

Post a Comment