Friday, December 9, 2016

Ps 112: A Wonderful Psalm


I was reading Ps 112 tonight and I'd like to share 3+ verses with you.

Verse 1:  Praise the Lord! Blessed is the man who fears the Lord,
who greatly delights in His commandments!

Verse 6:  For the righteous will never be moved;
he will be remembered forever.

Verse 7:  He is not afraid of bad news;
his heart is firm, trusting in the Lord.

Verse 8a:  His heart is steady; he will not be afraid........


Wow! What wonderful words of hope! My heart leaped for joy when I read them!
I must confess when I take my eyes off God, I fall short of the high standard He requires of me and need to seek His mercy and forgiveness.  But, oh, what an amazing incentive to draw nearer to God and fear Him in a healthy and right way!
'The fear of the Lord is to hate evil.....(Prov. 8:13)
Also, 'The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom' (Prov. 9:10; Ps 111:10).
Also, be sure to look up Prov. 1:7; 10:27; 14:27 and 15:16 etc.)
Those words are as true today as when King Solomon wrote them nearly 3000 years ago.
Sadly, many today believe God's commandments are no longer binding on them. If the Ten Commandments were 'nailed to the Cross'* (Col 2:14) as they argue, then there is no such thing as sin since 'sin is the transgression of the Law (1 Jn 3:4). Also, if that's true, what did Paul mean when he said 'The wages of sin is death' (Rom 6:23a)?
[* The only thing that was nailed to the Cross was the IOU each person owed God for disobeying His commandments! Our past sins are forgiven when we put our faith in Jesus to save us from the penalty of disobeying His righteous commandments. The Ten Commandments were most certainly not done away, as many deceived teachers claim. They should read Matt 7:21-23 very carefully. Also 2 Peter 3:15, 16.]
'.....all Your commandments are righteousness' (Ps 119:172). All those who love and fear the Lord should read all of Psalm 119 regularly!
Paul wrote'....as by one man (speaking of Adam) sin entered into the world, and death by sin.....(Rom 5:12). Since the Law defines what sin is (1 Jn 3:4), I believe the Ten Commandments were made known to Adam and Eve by the Lord (Jesus), their Creator, soon after He made them. I believe Paul did too!

Back to Ps 112:7, I do not want to be afraid of bad news when I hear it. I want to be close to God and put my complete trust in Him. He is my Rock and my Place of Refuge.
I think of the words of that song, 'Jesus, Lover of My Soul' especially 'Though my world may fall, I'll never let You go.' Amen!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkGurx7vA3A  (0:48)

It's only when our hand is in His will we be able to withstand whatever comes against us. It is my desire to draw ever nearer to the Lord Jesus and to be strong in Him. Let us not be confident in our own strength and abilities. Put your trust in Him and prepare now to be with Him for eternity.


No comments:

Post a Comment